The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (ESE) is seeking to hire a Director of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM). ESE seeks an individual who has deep knowledge and understanding of STEM and the development of children as scientists and mathematicians; experience successfully managing a team to meet ambitious outcome goals; and an understanding of the nexus and power of curriculum standards and assessments.
The Director of STEM is a critical position responsible for developing an articulated vision for STEM in the Commonwealth, integrating this vision with ESE’s core strategies, and leading and managing implementation. Further, with the advent of the implementation of the next generation MCAS (or “MCAS 2.0”) in the spring 2017, there will be terrific opportunity to continue to align and integrate standards, curriculum, instruction and assessments.
The Office for STEM in the Center for Instructional Support provides leadership for maintaining the Curriculum Frameworks in Science and Technology/Engineering, in Mathematics, and in Digital Literacy and Computer Science. The Office also supports districts development of STEM programs that embody rigorous curriculum aligned to these Frameworks. The Office is also responsible for designing STEM resources and providing professional development in these subjects. In addition, it links STEM initiatives to other initiatives at ESE.
The Director of STEM is the Commonwealth's leading expert on STEM. Primary areas of responsibility include:
· Setting a vision and goals for ESE’s work
· Supporting the implementation of Curriculum Frameworks aligned with state assessments
· Managing STEM Standards Review and implementation
· Supporting districts in STEM Curriculum Frameworks implementation (Math, Science, Technology/Engineering and Digital Literacy and Computer Science)
· Managing a team to meet ambitious outcome goals
· Collaborating within ESE
· Providing leadership on initiatives with external parties, as needed
For a complete job description and to apply, visit this link: