The General Science Teacher is responsible for planning, organizing, developing and conducting a comprehensive teaching and instruction program for middle school students in grades 6 and 8.
- · Bachelor’s degree in subject area and requisite licensure as defined by the DESE
- · Ability to handle multitude of varying and complex issues
- · Excellent oral and written communication skills
- · Ability to use technology effectively
- · Experience teaching middle school students in subject area
- · Knowledge of behavior management and behavior shaping strategies, techniques and methods, and conflict resolution procedures
- · Ability to work autonomously and make independent decisions
- · Ability to organize tasks, set priorities and meet deadlines, manage multiple tasks
- · Good judgment and good problem-solving skills
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES (not limited to):
- · Prepare and deliver instructional lessons with clear and measurable outcomes
- · Provide appropriate and effective learning experiences for students from a wide range of socio-economic levels and cultural backgrounds
- · Design and demonstrate differentiated instruction to meet the needs of all students.
- · Implement accommodations and curricular modifications as specified in educational plans (IEPs) and as needed to meet the learning needs of students
- · Provide a motivating and stimulating learning environment
- · Use a variety of formal and informal assessments to accurately measure student progress toward and to modify further instruction.
- · Use a computer and other technology to support student learning in and out of the classroom
- · Provide students with support (remediation and enrichment) using a variety of strategies
- · Collaborate with colleagues on curriculum, lesson and assessment design
- · Participate actively in faculty, department and team meetings
- · Set professional development goals, develop professional development plans, and participate in professional development activities that improve teaching practice
- · Communicate effectively with students, colleagues, parents, and the community
- · Follow safety procedures and written and verbal instructions
- · Other duties as needed
Work Environment & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Majority of work is performed in a school/classroom environment. The noise level in the environment is usually moderate. Regular attendance is a necessary and essential function. Rarely absent or late unless the situation is of an emergency nature.
While performing the duties of this job, the teacher is frequently required to walk, stand, sit, talk, and hear. The teacher is regularly required to bend, stoop, crouch and/or kneel. The teacher is occasionally required to lift and/or move objects weighing up to 25 pounds. Must have sufficient mobility to navigate within a large school building.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Newton Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Newton Public Schools ensures equal employment opportunities regardless of race, creed, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability, or any other class as protected by law. The Newton Public Schools places a high value on diversity and active recruitment of qualified minority teachers and staff. Any individual needing assistance in making application for any opening should contact the district human resources office.